Tuesday, July 23, 2013

7/23 Reflection

7/23 Reflection:

While yesterday was spent primarily at the 30,000 foot level, today was an opportunity to come down to earth and spend some time considering much more practical ways to increase our use of instructional technology.  I really appreciate the opportunity to "get our hands dirty" in iMovie.  I have spent considerable time in other video editing software (although it has been a while) and am impressed with the functionality of iMovie while still having some of the more advanced features.  I'm looking forward to spending some time this Summer and Fall becoming more comfortable with the program so that we can incorporate it into our building PD this school year.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to view a few more videos that challenge our thinking as educators.  While a little long (just over 14 minutes), I would also suggest the following video:

Tony Wagner
Video on the transformation  
schools must make
 
 

Class Notes:

Think about a time when you have seen technology being used effectively:
- English teacher placed entire class on Schoology
  • Google docs
  • iPads/Tablets for struggling learners
  • Doodle
  • Movies
  • ELL video conversations
  • ELL commercials
  • Problem solving in recording studio
  • Learning becomes real and relative
Chapter 1 from Andrew Zucker's Transforming Schools with Technology
  • How might some of the critic' views changed since 2008?
  • pg. 4: "For good teachers, educational technology is routinely providing capabilities that are not possible any other way."  An enhancement, rather than a new way of doing the same old things.
  • Technology cannot replace good teachers
  • Be mindful/responsible of when and who uses what technologies - is it appropriate for particular students (reading levels, etc.)
  • How do educators sort through the thousands of options available to them?
  • For-profit vs not-for-profit and the emerging middle ground: for-benefit companies
The Power of a Story (movies, films, music, etc)
  • Using iMovie
  • Some great video clips created.  It's amazing how some folks took seemingly meaningless and random video clips, and by adding text and music were able to create projects with value and stories. 
  • My sample video:

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen Tony W on TED, so I'm sitting here enjoying it while I write this...."knowledge is a commodity in our world now, it's like air--how many are in the periodic tables? Are we up or down a planet..." Good stuff. Thanks for reflection and glad you enjoyed getting organic today in iMovie. Think of all the cool things you did in 40 minutes. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, enjoyed the opportunity to get down to the hands on aspects of technology tools. I think that the time spent in class with iMovie will allow me the confidence to play with it an incorporate it somehow into my practice...although I'm not sure just how I want to do that yet! I'm looking forward to checking out your video this afternoon...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your questions about how do educators not get inundated with all the options out there? I want the answer to that question also. For me, I think it's like having favorite ice cream. I have my favorites, I'll try new flavors and explore my options but in the end if I can't think fast to what I want I will return to my favorite flavor. Does that make sense? I like exploring (when I have time) but technology is moving at exponential speed and there is no way I can keep up. I value more when someone I trust suggests some options AND I see it in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great talk! Thanks for sharing. While the opportunity to create and work with tech is a great part of this class, I have really enjoyed the conversations and views as well. Technology will not replace good teachers. How can we help good teachers discover even great things to improve their craft.

    ReplyDelete